As you guys know, I am pro-DIY salad dressings. While I do often enjoy a good vinaigrette, sometimes I crave a creamy textured dressing, which is super easy to create at home.
Enter the avocado. I'm avocado obsessed. Avocados are not only a source of healthy monounsaturated fats (read: heart healthy), but 1 avocado contains a whopping 14 grams of fiber (about half the daily recommended amount), and 975 mg of potassium, which is more than double that of a medium sized banana. Avocados also offer the perfect creamy texture to just about anything.
I was making salad and tacos the other night, so I decided to make an avocado based dressing to throw on top of both. It's sort of similar to the dressing on the Kale Salad recipe previously posted, but with a creamier, more liquid texture and a few different ingredients. I hesitated to post it at first b/c I sort of made it up as I went along (I have a habit of doing that), but it was too good not to share.
ReensGreens Goddess Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled (click for quick video on how to do it)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, washed thoroughly
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 water for thinning
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- In a blender or bullet, combine the avocado, cilantro, lime, cumin, chili powder, and salt and blend. Add water for thinning to reach desired dressing consistency.
- Pour mixture into a medium bowl, and stir in jalapeño and shallots and combine until evenly distributed.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
As I said, this worked great on a simple salad, and also on tacos! So versatile. This will likely become a staple for us.
What is your favorite thing to do with avocados?!