I don't mean to sound preachy, but I think it's about time that we move on from the world of bottled salad dressings. While, yes, they are convenient, the truth of the matter is that many of your conventional store-bought dressings are laden with sodium, sugar, and preservatives that offer little nutritional benefit.
DIY dressing is all the rage! It's so easy to make, you may as well jump on the bandwagon too. You will also control all the ingredients, so you know exactly what you are eating.
Here's a recipe for one of my favorites, a honey mustard dressing, adapted from one of my go-to food blogs, detoxinista.com
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 large or two small garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup water for thinning
- Throw all of the above ingredients into a blender or Nutribullet (or any bullet will do) and blend until evenly combined and creamy.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add water to thin further if you wish!
*If you don't have a blender, you can whisk together all the ingredients, but mince your garlic cloves, or use 1-2 tsp garlic powder.
I love this dressing over a spinach and goat cheese salad, with sliced apples and almonds. Seriously hits the spot when I am looking for a refreshing salad.
What is your favorite DIY salad dressing?